[SLUG] Sorry, shoulda been "help please re installing new monitor graphics"

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:22:18 BST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:47:12 -0400 (EDT), john at johnallsopp.co.uk
<john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:
> The ATI site says my card is supported, and gives me a place to get the
> latest driver. So, two questions:
>
> 1) I'm installing from scratch .. I'm going to plug in the card and
> monitor, and try to install Linux. Do I add the latest driver once my
> installation is in place? Do I do that anyway or just if I have problems?

If linux can't work out what to do with your graphics card it should
put a generic ATI driver in place, or at the very least a VGA one. You
then have a basic display to use until the proper driver is installed.
 This is the way that it's always done, I think. Certainly with nvidia
anyway.

> 2) I'm not sure I know how to install a driver on Linux, but maybe it'll
> become clear.

It's usually pretty straight forward. The ATI cards are pretty popular
so there should be some good guidelines on the web.

Good Luck!