[SLUG] Bash help

Phil Kershaw pmk at kershaw.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 20:07:05 BST 2004

Hi All,

I have been playing around with transparent windows using aterm and they
work fine. However there are times when the background gets in the way
and makes it difficult to read listings etc. On these occasions I would
like to use xterm with a solid background colour.

So I have been trying to set up bashrc to test whether I have opened an
aterm or an xterm. Depending which one is open I use a different file to
set dircolors variable. The listing is :-

If [ $TERM = aterm ]; then
	eval `dircolors -b ~/.dircolorsa
Elif [ $TERM = Xterm ]; then
	eval `dircolors -b ~/.dircolorsx
fi

I think this should work but doesn't because whether I have an aterm or
an xterm open the variable $TERM always reports xterm. I tested this
with echo $TERM in both windows.

Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong or suggest another way to do this?

Regards

Phil