[SLUG] Bash Help

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Mon Sep 6 21:55:14 BST 2004

Paul Teasdale wrote:

>On Monday 06 Sep 2004 20:22, Phil Kershaw wrote:
>

>>That worked great thanks. I know it's a small thing but is there a
>>way of stopping the   ps -A | grep "$PPID.*aterm$"
>>line echoing to the terminal?
>>

>Hi Phil,
>
>Try this:
>
>ps -A | grep "$PPID.*aterm$" 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

Or equivalently

ps -A | grep "$PPID.*aterm$" &> /dev/null

&> redirects both stdout and stderr, so it's just shorthand for Pauls suggestion.

Phil, if you want more details on this, search bash's manpage for the quite short 'Redirection' section (do '/REDIRECTION') inside the manpage viewer and press 'n' for the next search result.

Regards,
Gav