[SLUG] Lib Dem patent response

Farrell Burnett farrell at mount-liberty.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 16:20:31 BST 2005

Well, I thought (despite all the cheering for the party and verbosity)
that this is the best response that John has received.  About a million
miles down, Wallis concedes that Parliament's second reading really
turns on the definition of 'technical contribution'.  None of us know
exactly what the Directive means by it and, as Wallis points out, if it
is broadly defined then it could be a huge blow to open source
developers.  The UK government's workshops on 'technological
contribution' are still ongoing but I'll report to the list when I hear
anything of substance that emerges from them.  Also any news on the
second reading.  And I'll keep it short!

Wallis did not touch upon what I think is a major stumbling block about
this Directive:  that open source developers really cannot deal in
patents (see GPL) at all, whether the software patented implements a
technological contribution or not.

Best,

Farrell
--
Dr Farrell Burnett
30 Sussex Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire  YO11 1BJ
farrell at mount-liberty.demon.co.uk