[SLUG] Scanning transparencies

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 19:30:28 BST 2005

Hi

How does a scanner scan transparencies? I've never ever seen it work.

I tried it on a Mac with a multipurpose machine the other day and that
didn't work.

I brought the transparencies back with me to try with my Umax Astra
2200. I've got the right Sane driver, it even gives me the
transparency option, and I've got the bit of plastic that goes in the
scanner too.

I'm wondering, the hole in the bit of plastic where your
transparencies go corresponds to an area in the lid .. is that
supposed to light up so the scanner can see what's in the tranny?

Transparencies are quite small. Well 35mm ones are. Has anyone
actually managed this AND got a good result? So the driver seems to
max at 600dpi, which would be 827 pixels along the long edge. Doesn't
seem much. But then, I'm just looking at putting them on the web so
maybe it'd be OK at a push.

I'm trying to decide a) whether it's worth even pursuing if the
quality's not going to be great, b) whether it's just a driver thing
and perhaps I should try the scanner in the Windows XP machine or c)
why the hell should I .. ci) I wonder if the likes of Snappy Snaps
(obviously I'd try Jessops first) offer transparency scanning
post-mounting, or cii) should I buy a new scanner (the Umax is quite
old) that actually works with Linux, and if that, recommendations
please.

Over and out, Roger good buddies
John