[SLUG] Re: Scarborough Digest, Vol 81, Issue 1

Pete pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 00:51:50 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 12:15 +0100, scarborough-
request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> Hi
>
> How does a scanner scan transparencies? I've never ever seen it work.
>
> I tried it on a Mac with a multipurpose machine the other day and that
> didn't work.
>
> I brought the transparencies back with me to try with my Umax Astra
> 2200. I've got the right Sane driver, it even gives me the
> transparency option, and I've got the bit of plastic that goes in the
> scanner too.
>
> I'm wondering, the hole in the bit of plastic where your
> transparencies go corresponds to an area in the lid .. is that
> supposed to light up so the scanner can see what's in the tranny?
>
> Transparencies are quite small. Well 35mm ones are. Has anyone
> actually managed this AND got a good result? So the driver seems to
> max at 600dpi, which would be 827 pixels along the long edge. Doesn't
> seem much. But then, I'm just looking at putting them on the web so
> maybe it'd be OK at a push.
>
> I'm trying to decide a) whether it's worth even pursuing if the
> quality's not going to be great, b) whether it's just a driver thing
> and perhaps I should try the scanner in the Windows XP machine or c)
> why the hell should I .. ci) I wonder if the likes of Snappy Snaps
> (obviously I'd try Jessops first) offer transparency scanning
> post-mounting, or cii) should I buy a new scanner (the Umax is quite
> old) that actually works with Linux, and if that, recommendations
> please.
>
> Over and out, Roger good buddies
> John

I've got an Epson Photo Perfection 1670 which scans transparencies a
treat on Windows and only shows the area the transparency the occupies.
On Linux the whole table is scanned so you finish up with a postage
stamp sized blob in the middle of a huge frame. The answer I guess is in
the umpteen megabyte lump of software that you install on Windows. Epson
does in fact have a Japanese site (Epson Kowa) that provides Linux
software but I have failed to make it work. For anybody with Epson it
may be worth a try - printers as well
http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html

Regards
Pete Redwood