[SLUG] Kernel 2.6.x reboot on Athlon

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 10:13:36 BST 2005

Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> David Webster wrote:
>
>> After upgrading my Kernel from 2.4 to 2.6, I've experienced the
>> kernel hanging when it should send a reset signal to the processor.
>> I blamed it on my motherboard for a few years, but last week I
>> replaced it and found that this problem still persists.  The
>> processor I'm running is an original AMD Athlon 750+ and the OS is
>> Fedora 4.
>

> I'm using 2.6 with an Athlon XP 2600+ without issues...
> I didn't realise that the reboot signal was a processor issue, I
> thought it was a motherboard thing.
> Steve

I think it is a motherboard thing.  If it's what I think it is, it is
sometimes solved by adding
acpi=ht
after "kernel /vmlinuz-<version> ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet" in grub.conf
I don't know why, because the Athlon XP in question is not a hyperthreader
Suggestions as to what is going on are very welcome
Martin