[SLUG] ispnp

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 10:21:53 BST 2005

> Martin Webb wrote:
>
>> The question arose a week or two ago "What is isapnp"?

I don't personally remember asking quite that (so maybe it was someone
else) and yes, I've reached pretty much the point you seem to have
reached, which is that  "The following applications and packages not
previously mentioned have been removed from Red Hat Linux 7.3: ...
isapnptools", and (from the Red Hat 7.1 system manual with kernel
2.14.18-24) "with the newer serial drvier included with the Linux
kernel (among other things) isapnptools are no longer needed".

Other people have said, essentially, that the kernel is now smart
enough not to need isapnptools.

In other words, we haven't got an isapnptools to test, but the lpi
exam favours those who actually use Linux over those who have simply
<mode type="sneer">read it in a book</mode>.

There's also <http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/isapnpfaq.html>

This has led me to try to find a Red Hat 7 to install, but so far no
luck. Pete has a 6 he's offered but I'm currently holding out for a
seven, at least until I get the system set up (see previous posting
about multi Linux setups).

However I'm also starting to think that 7 might have had problems and
been quickly replaced by 7.1, hence its rarity. No evidence, just a
thought.