[SLUG] LPI 1.102.1 design hard disc layout

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 11:48:26 BST 2005

Jonathan Worthington wrote:

> I think one of the main differences between EXT2 and EXT3 is that EXT3
> is a journalling file system (well, it journals the meta-data
> anyway).  So this means that if you have a crash and reboot and need
> to do a disk check/recovery, this can happen a lot faster on EXT3 as
> there's a journal/log saying what was being looked at when the failure
> happened.  So I guess that matters to a sysadmin somewhat.  The grotty
> implementation details are interesting, no doubt, but I guess not
> something the everyday sysadmin need care about.

I was thinking along the lines that if it's all automated and you never
need know about it then it may not be relevant to a sysadmin...
following that train of thought do you happen to know if there are
utilities for manipulating the journal? E.g. is it something that you
could initiate a restore to a point in time from?

Obviously such stupid questions are replacing any active reading in the
area by picking the nearest person's brains.

Steve