[SLUG] How do I tell if Linux supports my intended graphics card?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 10:21:38 BST 2005

Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a graphics card. PC Pro recommends the
Gigabyte GV-RX80L256V and who am I to argue.

The thing is though, as with the sound card, I've a clear impression
that when it, for instance, says there's an S-Video and component
output provided on the bundled breakout box, support for that is going
to depend on the driver.

So. How do I tell whether this card has a fully supportive Linux
driver or not? And if I manage to gather that in theory, I haven't yet
chosen my distribution, how can I tell whether any particular
distribution includes the driver I'm looking for. I know that's
kind-of minor because I can always upgrade, but it's not minor if
there's no display (perhaps the card is newer than the distribution so
it knows nothing about the card).