[SLUG] Tux, SLUG poll

Al Girling al at acgirling.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 10:57:04 BST 2005

Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> Al Girling wrote:
>
> >Fluxbox, although strictly speaking thats a window manager rather than a
> >desktop.
> >
> Ooo er. I didn't know there was a difference *shock*.
>
> If it isn't too long an explanation please can you show me the
> difference? Otherwise I'll have a google later :)

I'll 'ave a stab.  Apologies if this proves to be inaccurate.

A window manager controls the way windows look are moved around and
interact with each other.  The apps you use are completely independent.
While a desktop is a fully integrated system with it's own suite of
apps.

Which is why Fluxbox is approx. 500Kb and KDE is well, KDE. ;)  It all
depends what you want.  For me; I like light and snappy, but most prefer
every tool conceivable a few mouse clicks away.

XFCE is a good example of a less bloaty desktop.  Give it a go, see what
you think.  Or try a window manager.  If you're feeling really extreme
give Ratpoison a go!

Desktops use window managers too I think Gnome's is Sawfish or Metacity
or something similar.  I don't know what KDE uses, but It'll use
something.

I hope this helps rather than making the waters more murky! ;)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>