[SLUG] Tux, SLUG poll

Jamie Adams whostolemypen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:19:35 BST 2005

> >Fluxbox, although strictly speaking thats a window manager rather than a
> >desktop.
> >
> Ooo er. I didn't know there was a difference *shock*.
>
> If it isn't too long an explanation please can you show me the
> difference? Otherwise I'll have a google later :)

X follows the unix ethos that functionality is better achieved through
seperate componants which can be individually replaced, rather than
through one big program.

A window manager, i believe, is simply that. It manages the windows,
gives them some simple controls and in some cases makes it all look
pretty. They offer basic funtionality but not much above what is
absolutly necessary to control the windows and allow you to interact
with them. A good example of this would be fluxbox which Al mentioned,
or possibly ratpoison or ion, but these are extreme in their
minimalistic approach.

A desktop on the otherhand will include many integrated utilities,
such as games, editors, browsers etc. This is the more complete
approach favoured by gnome, kde, xfce etc.