[SLUG] Proposed text for SEN

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 12:33:09 BST 2005

Hi ppl

Here's the press release for the local newspaper about the next
meeting. I've confirmed The Valley bar, but they have meals in there
until 7:30 so I'm thinking we might be slightly delayed in starting.
Also, it's a non-smoking room. The bar's full of smoke, but that room
is non-smoking.

I wanted to check this text with you particularly because I really
want to do the Linux Challenge thing, so I'll make some forms and a
box for people to drop them into, but obviously I wanted to check it
was OK with everyone first.

Also, I think I'm right in what I've said about Debian but obviously
others know better than I do.

The release is rather long, but there you go.

Finally, I hope Bob, you are preparing your 'pro' speech, and Dave,
you're preparing your 'anti'. I think I've got that right. Please
confirm.

OK, here goes, come back to me with any changes and I'll probably
distribute it on Monday:

Linux, the free alternative to Microsoft Windows, is distributed
bundled with associated free software. Called distributions, they aim
to satisfy different types of users, from the very technical to those
who have just migrated from Windows. Recently Debian, named after its
creator Ian Murdock and his wife Debra, released its latest version,
3.1, and the next Scarborough Linux User Group meeting on Tuesday 9th
September will debate whether it was worth waiting for.

Debian aims to be among the most free, stable and reliable of Linux
distributions despite including 15,490 free software packages. 'Free',
used in the context of free software, usually does mean free of
charge, but mostly it means free as in freedom. Linux developers tend
to be motivated by making software that: is free to install on as many
machines as you want, may be used by any number of people
simultaneously, may be copied and distributed freely, and that may be
modified to suit the user's needs. Debian is freely available for
download over the Internet.

Debian 3.1, codenamed Sarge (all Debian releases are named after
characters in the film Toy Story),  also took three years to develop.
Scarborough Linux User Group will debate “was Debian Sarge worth
waiting for?”

Anyone interested should turn up at The Valley Bar on Valley Road, at
7:30pm on Tuesday 9 September or visit the SLUG website at
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ where they can join the mailing
list and ask any questions they wish. Please note this is a change of
venue.

Scarborough Linux User Group will also have a stand in town on
Saturday 10th September in support of the worldwide Software Freedom
Day, where people can see Linux for themselves. There will also be a
Linux challenge in which computer users considering trying Linux can
jot down some information about their computer and what they want to
use it for, and the Linux User Group will recommend a suitable Linux
setup.

Finally, the group will discuss the possibility of forming an alliance
with a Linux User Group in Catalunya, Spain.

Linux is an increasingly popular alternative, low cost operating
system for almost all computer systems. Most software that runs on
Linux is called 'free' referring both to its cost, and to the fact
that users are more free to copy and use software and free to improve
it to suit their needs. Many equally capable yet free alternatives to
popular programs are available to run on Linux, for example word
processing, graphics manipulation, music composition and video
editing.

Scarborough Linux User Group meets monthly to discuss Linux news and
try new software in a social environment.

The following October meeting is on Monday the 3rd and will be devoted
mainly to a showing of part of a documentary film on the development
of bulletin board systems. There may also be time for a discussion on
Linux security. Those wishing to attend in October should check the
SLUG website http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ beforehand as the
venue may change.

refs:

Linux: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux>