[SLUG] Ease of use

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 16:32:54 GMT 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>>>1) hasn't got a plugin for MP3. Crazy or what?
>>>

>>The reason is that the mp3 format isn't an 'open' format, so isn't
>>included in FC4.
>

> Thanks, I'd forgotten about that, but still the point is that most
> people are used to using mp3s so for usability's sake shouldn't it be
> an install option or something?
>
> I'm just banging on about Linux 'not being ready for the desktop'
> again, that's all.

I must have missed the beginning of this thread, so am therefore likely
to be missing the point.  However (deep breath):  I'm playing MP3s on
Real Player and on XMMS, and recording in MP3 format on Audacity.  Ogg
vorbis is better, but then I can't exchange with our lad, who uses MP3,
so tend to use MP3.
Martin