[SLUG] We don't seem to be listed here, Jamie?

Jamie Adams jamie at ino.org.uk
Wed Dec 7 01:45:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:21:16AM -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> I have heard some resentment in the past of Jamie being the main
> contact and "all the enquiries and business going his way" which, from
> what Jamie has just said, is clearly not the case. However, it only
> takes one email for that to change.

haha. I assure you, as well as it being a huge pain in the ass - the
only profit I ever made was some lovely home made jam!

I seriously didn't know there had been any grumbling. Someone should
have said something.. certainly wasn't anything I was keeping hold of
intentionaly.

> So how could we handle it? We could have trusted parties on the
> receiving end of the 'contact us' email who agree to share such
> opportunities with the list, leaving everyone to make contact
> individually and the person who 'enquired' to sort the wheat from the
> chaff.
>
> Do we actually have members who would be able to, would want to, take
> on, for instance, Linux support work with a local company? I guess I'm
> up for it at a basic level and increasingly up for it as my LPI thing
> progresses. Ian, I imagine, would be up for it. Dave W might be once
> he finishes his PHd, depending what happens/where he goes. Bob might,
> particularly if it's in education. Anyone else?
>
> I'm thinking if we have a reasonable idea of how we might handle such
> things we could actually promote it and someone somewhere might make a
> little something.

Theoreticaly I think the idea is a good one, however my feeling is that
it should be kept seperate from the lug itself, financially anyway.The
nature of the lug seems to be that people drift in and drift out, apart
from a few diehards. Setting it up as any form of business on top of it
could be dodgy.

You also have to be careful that by listing paid support on the website
it doesn't distract somehow from the free and open nature of the list.
The thing I like the best about the lug is that it's a simple source of free
advice.

I can see the need for call out techies tho'. Good idea.

--
Jam Adams

   PGP Key:  http://tinyurl.com/br7ox
Linux User: #31442  |  Skype: jamieadamsuk