[SLUG] We don't seem to be listed here, Jamie?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 10:37:17 GMT 2005

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:21:16AM -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk
> wrote:
>> I have heard some resentment in the past of Jamie being the main
>> contact and "all the enquiries and business going his way" which,
>> from
>> what Jamie has just said, is clearly not the case. However, it only
>> takes one email for that to change.
>
> haha. I assure you, as well as it being a huge pain in the ass - the
> only profit I ever made was some lovely home made jam!

Home made jam? Wow!

> I seriously didn't know there had been any grumbling. Someone should
> have said something.. certainly wasn't anything I was keeping hold of
> intentionaly.

Well it wasn't anything serious so didn't warrant a mention, but in
the context of setting up a new way of handling things it was worth
mentioning :-)

>> So how could we handle it? We could have trusted parties on the
>> receiving end of the 'contact us' email who agree to share such
>> opportunities with the list, leaving everyone to make contact
>> individually and the person who 'enquired' to sort the wheat from
>> the
>> chaff.
>>
>> Do we actually have members who would be able to, would want to,
>> take
>> on, for instance, Linux support work with a local company? I guess
>> I'm
>> up for it at a basic level and increasingly up for it as my LPI
>> thing
>> progresses. Ian, I imagine, would be up for it. Dave W might be once
>> he finishes his PHd, depending what happens/where he goes. Bob
>> might,
>> particularly if it's in education. Anyone else?
>>
>> I'm thinking if we have a reasonable idea of how we might handle
>> such
>> things we could actually promote it and someone somewhere might make
>> little something.
>
> Theoreticaly I think the idea is a good one, however my feeling is
> that
> it should be kept seperate from the lug itself, financially anyway.The
> nature of the lug seems to be that people drift in and drift out,
> apart
> from a few diehards. Setting it up as any form of business on top of
> it
> could be dodgy.

I wasn't thinking of anything formal, just that opportunities
(non-existent as they are) could be communicated on the list.

Could, in fact, any contact with the LUG simply be broadcast to the
list automatically, or would that put us in a strange place legally
because the person sending the message wouldn't know that their email
would be made public.

> You also have to be careful that by listing paid support on the
> website
> it doesn't distract somehow from the free and open nature of the list.
> The thing I like the best about the lug is that it's a simple source
> of free advice.

Aye, maybe it's best approached as a casual mention that there are
some (when there are) qualified members who are capable of supporting
a system. Dunno

> I can see the need for call out techies tho'. Good idea.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any demand. I thought there would be tbh.