[SLUG] Re: Unpatched FF

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 13:03:44 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 07 Dec 2005 11:59, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Golly gosh. So are you and Paul 64 bit users? How are things in 64 bit
> land? - it seems weird that it's a fairly hot topic as M$ released 64
> bit this year, but Linux had been doing it for God knows how long before
> that.

Not too bad to be honest except for a few minor annoyances. Firefox, for
example, works fine under a 64-bit system but many of the plugins such as
Flash don't. Also another grievance is OpenOffice.org that AFAIK does not
work on a true 64-bit system yet.

I'm not sure how this works under other distros such as Ubuntu and SUSE but
under Debian the best way to run 32-bit apps appears to be installing a
32-bit Chroot environment which in itself isn't difficult but does add extra
baggage to your machine. In fact once you get it up and running properly it's
transparent to users.

As an aside when something goes wrong in the chroot it's also a very good way
of totally deleting your home directory (you need to be in with the in-crowd
to understand this one). What 's worse still is when it was someone else's
home directory and not your own!

Regards,

Paul.