[SLUG] Firefox 1.0.7 & download problems

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 17:59:16 GMT 2005

Hi

With my new Fedora Core 4, I ran all the Red Hat Network updates
thinking that would bring me up to date.

I've been trying to install Kino, the video editor.

Yum install Kino doesn't find a match, so Kino isn't in the RH Yum
database, so it's down to RPMs.

rpm -ivh kino-la-de-la-etc brings up nine failed dependencies, one of
which is libavcodec, another is libxvidcore.

So I've been trying to download those and my download keeps hanging.
It either fails to start, or reaches the end and just sits there. No
file appears in the target directory.

I tried to download the same file on my old machine and it worked a
treat.

So then I checked the version of Firefox thinking it was old, and it
reports 1.0.7, so I suppose it is. Weird, I actually thought we were
on 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, I thought I'd upgraded mine, but clearly 1.5 is
the current version.

So .. questions. Does anyone know a) why running Red Hat Network
updates, or for that matter installing FC4, didn't get me a more up to
date FireFox? and b) can anyone recommend a reasonably good free video
editing package that works well? I don't know why, but I got the
impression Kino was a good, serious, capable editor. Maybe it is, I
can't tell yet.

Cheers