[SLUG] Re:Ubuntu 64 bit install

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 10:38:20 GMT 2005

On Thursday 29 Dec 2005 00:12, Michael John Drawneek wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 20:56, Paul Teasdale wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 Dec 2005 18:53, john baldwin wrote:
> >
> > > he says that it will be some time before 64 bit gets into
> > > general use and there are compatible programmes to be used.
> >
> > I use Debian as my preferred Linux distribution and out of almost 9000
> > different packages there are only a handful that do not work under a 64
> > bit system for whatever reason so I slightly disagree with this comment.
> >
> > I only slightly disagree because some of the package that are unavailable
> > appear to be the most used most notably OpenOffice.org
>
> what probs are you having with OOo and 64 bit O/s????

Hi Mike,

I'm having no problems with OOo on a 64 bit OS other than OOo is actually
running as 32 bit (from a 32 bit chroot in my case). AFAIK, and please
correct me if I'm wrong, OOo does not yet exist as a pure 64 bit build
although looking at various forums it is being worked on.

I do agree that I used a bad word that word being unavailable. It's not
unavailable so to speak but is not truly 64 bit compatible either which is
what I was trying to point out.

Regards,

Paul.