[SLUG] decoding application/mac-binhex40 files

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 20:25:47 GMT 2005

Al Girling wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 05:53:27PM GMT, Paul Teasdale wrote:
>
>>Install the macutils package and use the hexbin utility. AFAIK this utility
>>changes the binhex file back to its relevant binary file although I haven't
>>tried this personally. This suggestion therefore may only be as good as the
>>'Irish mine detector' route. Keep a backup of you original file(s) before
>>trying.
>
> I looked at macutils, but 'apt-cache show' made it look like a tool for
> creating file for Macs.  So I gave uudeview a try which seemed to work
> well.  I'll install the macutils though as I've had a few difficulties
> with files from other Mac users in the past and this might be the answer
> I need.  Cheers!

The reason I came to the macutils package was this:

apt-cache search binhex (or was it mac?)

Anyhow the macutils package was one of the results. I then decided to
have a look at what the package actually contained:

apt-file list macutils

usr/bin/binhex
usr/bin/frommac
usr/bin/hexbin
usr/bin/macsave
usr/bin/macstream
usr/bin/macunpack
usr/bin/tomac

The resulting files (within the package) appear to have utilities that
work in both directions (e.g. binhex, hexbin, tomac, frommac). I never
actually looked at the description of the package contents because I had
already decided (rightly or wrongly) on an assumption. That assumption
was hexbin may do the trick for you!

It would be still nice to know if hexbin works however I'm glad you
found a working solution.

Cheers,

Paul.