[SLUG] January meet date

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 18:55:19 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 13:38, Al Girling wrote:
> I've just heard from Chris, sadly the 11th has already been booked so
> we'll meet on the 25th at the Cricketers on North Marine Road, upstairs
> in the function room.

That'll be the 25th then. I should be OK for this date AFAIK.

I have downloaded and burnt Slax to disk - fairly impressive on my desktop
actually but as yet I have not tried the laptop. I will also bring the DVD
with SUSE 9.2 on it - again impressive on the desktop but a little slow.

I spent a morning over the holidays installing SUSE 9.2 Pro on my laptop and
it's good!! John, if you want a version of Linux that just works then give
SUSE a try. It even detected my Linksys Wireless USB card and installed the
correct firmware that needs uploading to it each time the modules are loaded.

Before SUSE I gave Fedora Core 3 a try. The desktop looks good and Gnome 2.8
is very nice but the standard fonts were awful and my USB card was not
detected. I eventually got frustrated with it and switched to SUSE. On the
plus side however Redhat seemed to handle power management *much* better than
SUSE does by default.

See you all at the next meeting,

Regards,

Paul.