[SLUG] Al's laptop

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri Jan 21 13:50:22 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:21:15PM GMT, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> Hey Al

> Did you get your laptop sorted?  i knew it was old and your were
> installing Debian (i think) and were getting help installing it
>
> How did it go?

Well, the reason I took it to the install day was I knew I had more
chance of winning the lottery than getting X working on it myself.  This
they guys from York achieved, but I had various things I wasn't too
happy about with it.  The version of Fluxbox installed originally had a
variety of known faults which I'd fixed in the past by compiling
fluxbox-0.1.14 which is what I use on this desktop machine.  However
some some reason it didn't fix them this time. :(  Other things like the
laptop not shutting off *ever* until the battery ran flat didn't help
the situation either.  So after a fair bit of fiddling I lost my rag.
Teddy bears all over the place!  As root I did rm -rf /

Mucho satisfaction.  It's now sitting under the table awaiting me to
have another go some day.