[SLUG] What do people make of this: Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 08:15:54 BST 2005

David Webster wrote:

> Asa Dotzler(The Firefox Guy) on
> Why Linux isn't ready for desktops

Well, I think he makes a lot of sense. I don't think that the article
was really too much about being ready for the desktop, it seemed to be
more about how to make linux appeal to windows users. If linux wishes
for vast numbers of linux users to switch then yes, improvements need to
happen first to make the transition possible.

I did agree that distros including multiple apps that do the same thing
is confusing - it confuses me, and if you don't have time to discover
the pros and cons then it's a pain.

However I did disagree with him when he started to push down the line
that linux should essentially have the same interface as windows, but
just be different under the hood - windows only got 'my documents' a few
releases ago, and it's only with XP that it seems to actually mean
anything, so why should linux use that terminology by default? Why hide
users from settings/preference differences just because windows does?

If users wish to switch then they will expect some differences,
otherwise why switch? Given that as fact education is the key - educate
users on the differences between /home and my documents when they install.

That's what I think anyway, oh and yeah - apps really do need to be
easier to install to appeal to a wider audience ... this week, for the
first time, I gave up trying to install an app and run a free windows
app under wine. Shameful, but there you go.

What does everyone else think?

Steve