[SLUG] SFD

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 16:54:52 BST 2005

> Hi,
>
> we have almost got the 'pitch' outside outside 'Wooleys', i need to
> confirm
> arrangements!
>
> the pitch normally goes for £250 for the day but since we are
> providing a
> service to the community (advice to SME's, towns folk etc) we will get
> it for
> nothing and we only pay £4 for electric for the day

Well done

> now i need to know who will be there, names please

I'll happily do half a day, the first half preferably. I won't have a
machine to bring.

> i will have my lap top there with Suse and it will be nice to have a
> number of
> other machines, names plus machine and O/s
>
> then we will require tables, John, you have some suggestions

Wandering through town today I see what you mean about a gazebo thing,
it makes the stand visible over the heads of the crowd, so I agree it
would be good but don't know where there's one available. I'll ask
about the table.

> chairs, coffee pot etc
>
> some sort of roof (tent style)???
>
> they are the big things!!!
>
> small things will be the handouts, posters, CD's etc

I don't mind writing to the advertisers in Linux Format and tapping
the ad chap there again for a giveaway copy or two. I may follow up on
the idea of the books but perhaps handle that side myself to save
complexity (on a cost-covering basis).

I can do the 'What is Linux' flier again. I don't mind writing a
handout about any installfest or whatever we intend to do .. writing
is one of the things I can do.

Obviously I can also weave this into my normal publicity routine ..
the A5 posters, the SEN releases, that sort of thing.

As a former advisor to exhibitors, my rule of thumb was that you
should be able to walk quickly past a stand and know exactly what
their offer is. Not just what they do, but what you stand to gain by
stopping and looking at the stand.

To that end, I'm happy to contribute to working out what we might say
on one or more banners .. perhaps one to go at head height, and
another skirt to go around the table, although I'd need someone else
to take on the production effort, whether that's because they know
someone with some printing capability or because they're handy with a
paintbrush.

Actually, flags might be a really good alternative, although it may
not be windy enough to unfurl them so they'd have to have something to
articially do that.

Anyway, I'm struggling, now, to think of the best thing to say:

We probably should say 'Software Freedom Day' somewhere (maybe I need
to do a flier for that too), and also 'Scarborough Linux User Group'.
But the benefit of free software and Linux is ....

Free software
 - customise it
 - pay (almost) nothing

 .... what other advantages should we list here?