[SLUG] isapnp(8)

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Mon Jul 25 17:56:33 BST 2005

"Martin Webb" <martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk> wrote:
> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>
>>Hi ppl
>>
>>Do any of you know the significance of the (8) in isapnp(8).
>>
> As far as I know, it refers to the Section of the manual.  There may be
> other Sections with references to isapnp.
> man -S 8 isapnp
> is "go to Section 8 of the manual, and tell me about isapnp".
> If there is no reference to isapnp in the other Sections, then I've no
> idea.
> Martin

Pretty much right.  Man pages are organized into sections.  There doesn't
have to be another page of the same name in other sections, it's just a way
of handling the case when there is.

One list of sections I've seen was:-

1. Commands
2. System Calls
3. Library Functions
4. Spcial Files, Device Info
5. File Formats and Conventions
6. Games
7. Macro Packages and Language Conventions
8. Maintenance Commands and Procedures

See
http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~rootd/catdoc/guide/TheGuide_17.html

Hope this helps,