[SLUG] How obtain Knoppix 4 DVD?

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Wed Jul 27 20:13:08 BST 2005

How obtain Knoppix 4 DVD?

I read in Guardian Life supplement about Knoppix 4.0 DVD with all the
thousands of free programs. How does one get a copy?

They say it's based on Debian version of Linux. I have Mandrake 10 and dont
know whether that is a disadvantage. It would be better to use Knoppix
programs from the hard drive than the DVD drive.

Usually I cannot save pages online but have to leave the page open and save
after logging off. Sometimes, Konqueror shows a menu of several web pages
opened and then it has been possible to save multiple pages after
disconnecting. I may try keeping all the pages open, I want to save, by
opening new pages or something...

There are bugs such as Rename for Open Office malfunctions into another
program icon, a tdz file ( whatever that is ). A couple of these, with the
name intel and some numbers, were left by the installer. One of them gained
the Rename I intended for the Open Office file.
I have a feeling the installer forgot to delete these two intel files. There
is also an intel folder ( with similar numbers ), which I'm forbidden entry
to. ( And another intel folder that allows access. )

Nevertheless, I get along as a Linux wimp, who will be the rule rather than
the exception if Linux comes into popular use.
What younger people dont realise ( hello Jamie ) is that after a certain age,
your horizons narrow and, speaking for myself, one doesnt want new projects.
If I were starting out, then, from my point of view, learning computer coding
and programming would be essential. But, with the baggage one picks up over
the years, it would be over-load, as far as I'm concerned.

Yours sincerely,
Richard Lung.