[SLUG] Software patents proposal .. 24 hours to reply

David Webster dave at dave-webster.com
Fri Jun 10 11:22:09 BST 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>Hi ppl
>
>Having watched the software patents issue for a while
><http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/softwarePatents.php4> and with votes
>coming up in the EC, I thought it time for another letter.
>
>This one is more considered and hopefully better substantiated than
>the one before. I wondered, though, whether anyone else in the group
>would like to add their name to it. It seems better to write on behalf
>of two, three, or ten people rather than just myself.
>
>If you agree with what I'm saying (see text below) and would like your
>name added, please reply in 24 hours, and tomorrow morning I'll send
>it off to all our Euro MPs.
>
>Cheers

Count me in.  I can send this to a few people at the University who also
take our stance.

A good example of open source afflicted by this is the VLC (VideoLan
Client) media player [www.videolan.org/vlc/] which is build by a joint
open source / academic venture.  This violated a LOT of software
patents, but at the same time is open and free in both senses, and its
future seems uncertain at the moment with these patent reforms.
[http://www.videolan.org/patents.html]

Dave