[SLUG] Breaking into the Linux world

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 23:27:51 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Rob Hall
Sent: 13 June 2005 20:32
To: Scarborough Linux User Group
Subject: [SLUG] Breaking into the Linux world

Hi,

Just wondering how people got their break into the world of Linux
administration. I am an IT technician at a college but all we are
running is Windows (servers and client) and I would dearly love to break

into something a bit more challenging involving Linux. Whilst I don't
have an enorrmous amount of experience administering a Linux system (I
run a small Linux based home network!) I do pick stuff up very quickly
and I have been "tinkering" with computers (hence my liking for Linux)
for years.

Most of our machines now have three year warranties so the interesting
(hardware diagnostics) bit has gone now and we don't spend much time
repairing Windows installations (which can be interesting!), we just
re-ghost the machines. YAWN!!!!!!! I quite enjoy the networky stuff and
I even quite like Server 2003 but I'd really like to get into a world
where Linux was being used.

I have a technical degree (Electronic Engineering) and an open mind but
no formal qualifications in IT (merely 1 Microsoft training course under

my belt)

Can anyone recommend any ways I can train or where I might best look for

a break into the world of Linux. I'll probably go mad if I have to do
too many more Ghost sessions!!!!

Rob Hall

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Suppose there are 2 ways into working in IT and specifically Linux:

1. Have loads of experience/qualifications and get your CV out there and
get past the interviews and bingo

or more realistically

2. Apply to loads of places running Linux and go in at the bottom of the
ladder and progress from there

I took a route somewhere in the middle when I got a job with an ISP in
Newbury, with IT and Linux experience (but limited ISP/Hosting) I got a
job as Hostmaster. By the end of the first week I was in charge of
DNS/Webspace on 26 machines!

So at this point you need strong nerves and a good memory!

Basically if you enjoy what you are doing, can get your foot in the door
and survive the first week then you're off.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Ian

Ps
The ISP only ran 2 windows machines as everyone found them to be god
awful to look after compared to a Linux machine, but each to their own.