[SLUG] I admit I'm cheating, LPI thoughts

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 12:22:35 BST 2005

Chris More wrote:

>On Wednesday 29 Jun 2005 9:36 am, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>

>>>This seems fair.  I read also that less obvious command options (ls
>>>-i,
>>>e.g.) are tested, to sort out experienced administrators from others.
>>>So we do have to know the stuff in some depth.  Well, that's what I
>>>wanted.
>>>Martin
>>>

>>Aye, absolutely. It wouldn't be worth doing if it wasn't testing. It
>>it was easy, an LPI qualification would be given out like smarties.

>man ls brings up 75 different options.  Surely it is not required to remember
>every option for every command !!?
>
>Chris

Hello, Chris,
In FAQs on the LPI website, someone asks why there are questions on
"obscure" (the questioner's spin) options.  LPI's reply is that an
experienced administrator will know about some of these, and might score
50% on such items, and will thus be distinguished for the
inexperienced.  So, no it isn't required to remember every option for
every command, but yes it would be a good idea to know what an
experienced administrator might know, even though s/he might still use
the man pages for most stuff.
Martin