[SLUG] mysql under RH9, log file query

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 11:14:27 GMT 2005

Hi

I'm stumped by this one. I've installed mySql 3.23.54 on my Red Hat 9
system and it works with Java JDBC, however I'm having problems
getting it to connect to J2EE so I want to watch the mySQL log files.

Apparently <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/query-log.html> I should
start mySQL with --log[=file]. The default file is host_name.log.

So, I did that. /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start --log

Then, I did find / -name '*.log' > logs.txt

There's no mysql related log file in logs.txt. I also tried launching
mysqld with --log=myErrors.log, that didn't work either.

So I'm wondering, and here's my question.

Should that --log=myErrors.log be --log='myErrors.log'?

Should that command be /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld --log start?

Otherwise, does anyone know wtf is going wrong?

Could it be that actually, as far as mySql is concerned, nothing is
going wrong, so it's not creating an error file. Aha, maybe J2EE is
catching the error before it reaches mySql.

I'll try to create an error directly with mySQL and see if I can get
an error log out of it. Any thoughts in the meantime would be
appreciated.

Sometimes it's the daftest things that hold you up. I remember as a
youth being totally frustrated by car maintenance. You can have all
the parts, all the right tools, a full Sunday, the sun can be shining,
and you have your Haynes manual. Then you shear a bolt, or it won't
undo, and you're stuffed. The basic stuff gets you every time.

Cheers