[SLUG] patents

Farrell Burnett farrell at mount-liberty.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 10:24:45 BST 2005

The response John received from MEPs is the stock answer:  we don't want
to become like the US (where 'business methods' and other methods get
patents) so we need a new law.  I would counter that we (Europe) ALREADY
don't have what the US has so why do we need the directive?  I think
this argument is a red herring, intended to lead us astray from the
primary objections to the directive.

As we discussed at our meeting, there are two big problems for open
source software developers in the directive.  First, more patents will
clash with the General Public Licence and perhaps make it unworkable.
Second, the directive is not at all clear about what a 'technological
contribution' is and, in fact, I found the directive uses circular
reasoning.  I mean to check up on the results of the workshops on the
possible meaning of technological contribution which the government held
in March.  I'll report back.

Farrell
--
Dr Farrell Burnett
30 Sussex Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire  YO11 1BJ
farrell at mount-liberty.demon.co.uk