[SLUG] Linux

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed May 4 09:58:08 BST 2005

Incidentally, in discussing what should go on the back wall of the
stand, I always advised (when I was a marketing chap) that it should
be possible to work out what our stand is about in half the time it
takes to walk past it (half, because there are other things to look
at).

Anyway, during the meeting I was trying to work out whether the phrase
'Open Source' or 'Linux' is most popular. Linux, we thought. There
are, after all, Linux magazines in W H Smiths.

Well there were 14,496 searches for "Linux" through Overture in March,
and only 3,827 for "Open Source". Which makes "Linux" almost four
times as likely to raise interest, all other things (like audience)
being equal.

So, for my money, the word 'Linux' should be the biggest thing on the
back (and side) wall.