[SLUG] Possible handout?

Madeleine Parkyn Madeleine at envoy.uk.net
Wed May 4 13:14:36 BST 2005

At 07:40 04/05/2005, you wrote:
>Hi ppl.
>
>At last nights meeting I volunteered to produce a handout about Open
>Source and Linux, explaining the basics.
>
>It's long, I know, but here's my first draft for your comments:

John  - I like it.  I know it's long, but it is very readable and has good and frequent subheads.  If it will fit on an A4 sheet (without being 10pt) I'd go with it.

My only other suggestions would be to add an of extra subhead. One above the para that starts "The strange thing is it all works..."

All the best
Madeleine

> [...]
>developed this way can evolve very quickly, and it's more robust (it
>crashes less often) and easier to use because it's been tested in real
>life, right through its development, on real-life computers.
>
>Interested and skilled users who want to get more involved can, unlike
>'normal' software, see the software code, change it, and return their
>amendment. Software that allows this is called Open Source. Many eyes
>make light work.
>
>Why do people put their time and effort into Open Source, without
>payment?
>
>If you put yourself into some geek shoes for a second, what really
>matters to them is peer recognition. They do it to see their name on
>the software. Open Source is an Internet based revolution, so when
>they put your name in lights, they're BIG lights.
>
>How much did your last Windows upgrade cost?
>
>Also, Open Source software is generally free of charge, or at least
>inexpensive. After a while using a free operating system, free office
>tools, a free browser, a free music player, free video editing tools,
>free games and free graphics applications it occurs to some people to
>put back into the community they are benefiting from. Many very
>skilled older developers find purpose here, paying something back to
>an industry that's paid them well during their working life.
>
>So, in the geekiest of geekworlds, there's humanity. A community of
>people helping each other, backed by the principle that software is
>just a collection of free ideas that should be shared for the benefit
>of all. A modern version of communicating knowledge through stories
>and song.
>
>The strange thing is it all works. Linux is renowned for its ability
>to work for years on end without a reboot. IBM has embraced Linux in a
>big way, and because Open Source software comes from the ground up,
>whatever you want software to do, it's likely you'll be able to find
>the very best quality software, free of charge, here.
>
>Despite all that, it's not so different after all. You still use a
>mouse, a keyboard, click menus. You can still read your word processor
>documents. If you can use Windows, you'll be able to use Linux.
>
>The reasons for using Linux aren't so different either. It's reliable,
>effective, usable, saves money, and it's more secure. Why pay more for
>a worse product?
>
>Where next? Join us (http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/), buy a copy
>of a Linux magazine or download Tux (a magazine for the new Linux
>user, now on issue 2, from http://www.tuxmagazine.com/). Change your
>browser to Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) for your
>first taste of Open Source software. Try Open Office
>(http://www.openoffice.org/). Then make the leap .. perhaps when you
>get a new computer, try Linux on your old one. Or you can dual boot so
>you get the choice when you boot up. You can even boot Linux from a CD

Madeleine Parkyn

envoy
creating, marketing and managing websites
accessibility and usability advice and evaluations
www.envoy.uk.net
madeleine at envoy.uk.net
01723 37 55 33