[SLUG] Please advise me on my next distribution...

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 15 11:40:50 BST 2005

Hi all,

I'm after some advice on what distro I should try next.

I have only used 2 so far - Fedora Core 3 and Suse 9.2.

I liked FC3 - it had a great community with lots of forums to scour for
tips and help - e.g. getting ATI drivers to work etc plus the latest
KDE, gnome etc.

I disliked Suse - I can't find a way of getting bleeding edge Gnome
without buying 9.3; it makes annoying system beeps when shutting
down/restarting and I find yast doesn't do what it says on the tin in
all cases - amongst other annoyances!

I have disregarded Mandriva as I see them in a similar vein to Suse -
with understandably waning upgrade options for their free OS.

The Ubuntu live cd crashes on my machine so I'm not too enamoured to try
installing it for real.

Debian and slackware look far too scary in general with my limited
knowledge.

I want a distribution that's not going to take a month of my life
getting a graphical desktop going then work out how to get samba to
share my printer - I want everything up and running the same day.

So I kinda think that I should just go back to FC - I did like it after
all! But then I think that's boring?!

I've eyed up gentoo (do you use that Phil?) but wonder if I'm going to
have lots of config problems that I don't have the time to fix - is it
like debian/slackware in scariness?

Anybody else recommend anything else that's shiny?

Steve