[SLUG] Learning Linux, and going for the LPI qualification

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed May 18 10:50:50 BST 2005

Hi ppl

OK, I've decided I'd like to study for the LPI Junior Level
Administration exam in Linux. This requires the taking of two exams,
101, and 102. Overview: <http://www.lpi.org/en/lpic.html>, detail 101:
<http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html>, 102:
<http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_102.html>, sample questions 101:
<http://www.lpi.org/en/tasks_101.html>, 102:
<http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_102.html>.

In the detail, you'll see that each item has a weight which tells you
how important that is for the exam at the end. I propose spending 200
hours on the whole program, which makes for about 2 hours of study per
point.

If I give 4 hours a week to it, I'll be able to take the first exam in
a year, the second a year after.

I'd love others to join in, so if you fancy it, say so. I imagine
perhaps discussing it at the next meeting to work out whether I'm just
making a terrible mistake. If not, then I propose publicising this
self-study intention in the Evening News and inviting interested new
people to our meeting in July. At that meeting those interested can
form a clique and decide how they'd like to proceed. I imagine we'll
maybe start studying from the 1st August to give people chance to
order books or whatever. There may be a good reason to delay that to
September to tie in with normal university timings but I can't see
what that reason might be atm.

I've got in mind two other things. Firstly, that those studying swap
their notes with others who also have notes. Since we're self studying
and using different materials, this gives us a fighting chance of
getting a good overview of the subject. If the principle is that I'll
give you my notes for 1.101.4 if you have notes to give me back, that
covers any problem with feeling that some are working less and riding
on the back of others.

The other thing I have in mind is that perhaps in a years time if it's
been in any way successful, we can kick start another 101 while the
first group moves to 102. In year three, the first lot can move to
201, Intermediate level, the 101s move to 102, and we get a new intake
of 101s.

Can anyone see any problems with any of this barring my evident belief
that the world revolves around what I want to do?

Cheers