[SLUG] Scarborough evening news

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon May 23 21:18:27 BST 2005

Hi everyone

While I was at the Digital Scarborough stand, John Ritchie came over
from the Scarborough Evening News, gave me his card, and said "if you
ever have any news, anything, just let me know".

I used to run a PR company. So, news, I can do.

Here's what I propose to send to him. Let me know if you want anything
altering, although again I think I'm already overlong so try not to
suggest adding anything unless you are removing something else.

I'll probably send this off tomorrow night, so look sharp.

I was also considering making up something for the noticeboard of the
local university/colleges, if anyone has any objections yell.

Hi John

You came over to our stand at Digital Scarborough and asked for
stories, so I thought I'd take you up on it. Here goes:

The next meeting of the Scarborough Linux User Group (SLUG) will
informally discuss organising ourselves to self-study for the Linux
Professional Institute Junior Level Administration examination
(LPIC-1). This is expected to require four hours per week of study for
one year to pass one exam, and the same again for a second. Higher
qualifications are then available.

Anyone interested should turn up at The Cricketers on North Marine
Road, at 7:30pm on Monday 6 June or visit the SLUG website at
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ where they can join the mailing
list and ask any questions they wish.

Also tabled for discussion and possibly demonstration is Xen, featured
in this month's Linux Format magazine. Xen allows multiple copies of
Linux (even different distributions) to run on a machine
simultaneously  and has applications in testing and also load
balancing in large installations.

Linux is an increasingly popular alternative, low cost operating
system for almost all computer systems. Most software that runs on
Linux is called 'free' referring both to its cost, and to the fact
that users are more free to copy and use software and free to alter it
to suit themselves. Many equally capable yet free alternatives to
popular programs for, for example word processing, graphics
manipulation and music making, are available to run on Linux.

Scarborough Linux User Group meets monthly to discuss Linux news, try
new software, and drink beer.

refs:

LPI: <http://www.lpi.org/en/home.html>, exam details
<https://www.lpi.org/en/lpic.html>