[SLUG] Adobe PDF Format

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Sat May 28 20:39:11 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Jamie
Sent: 28 May 2005 15:35
To: Scarborough Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Adobe PDF Format

Ian Eade wrote:

> I am experiencing problems opening PDF documents and have been told
that
> the documents I have been given need to be opened using the latest
> version of Adobe Acrobat, namely v7.
>
> I was under the impression that Adobe PDF was backwards compatible
(for
> basic reading at least) and this seems to be supported by the fact
that
> I can open newly created PDF documents using my current version 4.
>
> I have not upgraded from v4 as all I want to do is view/print PDF's
and
> everything above v4 seems like bloatware with features I don't need.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on Adobe PDF (backwards) compatibility?
>
> Ian

The version of Acrobat that I use (v7) exports files that will open with

V5+ by default. It can export to V4 but I guess that most people
wouldn't change the default settings.

Jamie

Further reading indicates that major changes occurred from Adobe Acrobat
v3 to v4 and everything from v4 onwards is compatible, maybe aside from
a few interactive features introduced in v7.

Having opened the pdf's in question in Photoshop v7 I am presented with
a password box so the problem is not with backwards compatibility but
with security settings that have been applied at the time of creation.

Plain text files would be a whole lot easier than this carry on!

Ian