[SLUG] Library display posters

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 15:34:35 GMT 2005

Hi

Thanks John for you suggestions on my piece on Education.  I am redrafting,
incorporating most of your suggestions, and rearranging so that the more
positive material about available software comes at the start, before what I
now see is a bit of a private rant about schools.

I tried to install Helvetica.  I had no problems discovering how to install,
but when I tried to find a site to download from,  I found plenty that wanted
lots of money, but no free downloads.  Do you know of a site?

I withdraw my vote for Slackware as an install.  I'm still a fan, but I just
installed OpenOffice0.2, and mastering Slackware packages may take me about a
decade.  Has anyone got a disc of Debian Sarge they can lend me?

I like the idea of a piece of paper with the web address to be left on a table
in front of the display.  Could it be business card size, with advice on the
rear for following up on the website?  If we convert the handouts to html and
put them on the site, then the interested can follow up on the library
computers.

I've looked into putting an icon put on the library machines.  It looks
unlikely.  I can't find out about local technical support.  I will have
another try next week.

A guide to getting started with Linux, choice of distributions, what you need
to find out about your system, etc., might combine well with the how to put
together cheap suitable hardware for Linux, even if it meant using a staple.

I vote for, and don't mind writing some of:
Linux in Education
A £100 Linux machine
Getting started with Linux

Bob