[SLUG] Last evening's meeting

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 19:09:44 GMT 2005

I was unsuccessful in posting this message, this a.m.  I sent it
privately to John, but, having now sorted myself out, I'll follow John's
suggestion and "bring it back to the list".

Particularly to John:

It's quite difficult to put anything in writing without sounding like
the vote of thanks for the after-dinner speaker, but -
Thanks, John, for a v interesting seminar on Richard Stallman, into
which you put a lot of work.

This a.m., Diane, my wife, asked me what we had talked about, and I was
able to tell her in some detail, and, to some degree, to her interest,
too.  That's some tribute to the clarity of what we heard.

I also found that, over-night, as is psychologically supposed to happen,
my brain had continued to work on the subject.  Particularly in this
area: Stallman is, self-admittedly, at least on the edge of the autistic
spectrum, and, in his own word, stubborn (obsessive?).  One of the ideas
in the Free Software matrix, about which he was quite uncompromising,
that came up three or four times (again in his own words, it appeared),
included the word 'ethics', concerning the openness of the product.  An
ethic of you're developing through my work and its accessability, and I
through yours.  Now you might think that I'd be interested in this
because of my profession, but that would be a misreading.  What I'm
really interested in is the socio-politico-economic implications of a
Free Software mind-set.  In English, that comes out as: rather than the
West sucking in wealth for the past couple of hundred years, at the
expense of the Third World (the wealth of one, as one might say,
depending on the poverty of the other), could the West, in becoming
wealthy, have attended to the parallel and equal development of the
Third World - the West developing because the Third World was
developing, too?

Do you think any of Stallman's attitude (despite his protests that his
work does not transfer to other areas of human activity) bears such
interpretation?

Much of my own work is based on ideas of social enterprise, and
commonwealth, which is why my mind will continue the exploration of last
night's meet.

Thanks again,
Martin