[SLUG] Poster idea, input requested

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 21:06:35 GMT 2005

Hi ppl

I've been mulling over ideas for the central poster for the library
display which, if you remember, is supposed to provide the motivation
to investigate further.

So, it's supposed to bring you in and get you asking questions. It's
not supposed to give the answers, they come from the leaflets and from
implementing Linux.

Based on the Stallman talk, it's his belief that if we push free
software as being better, faster, stronger, people will be
disappointed because there will always be things free software is
prevented from implementing because of some form of intellectual
protection issue.

His view is that the proper way to market free software is to go for
the freedom angle. Stallman would emphasise the freedom in free
software as a benefit in itself, and try to push people into
pressuring the padlock brigade into unlocking their secrets for
everyone's benefit.

So I got to thinking "what image illustrates freedom". And I tried to
put all this into a few short paragraphs.

This isn't the final text, photograph, layout, nor font. It's untidy,
and it's unfinished. But I thought I'd show you it in an early stage
before I do any more work on it.

Do you think it'll work for the library audience?

<http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/poster1.jpg>