[SLUG] Poster idea, input requested

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 12:37:30 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:58:49PM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:

--%<--

> So I got to thinking "what image illustrates freedom". And I tried to
> put all this into a few short paragraphs.
>
> This isn't the final text, photograph, layout, nor font. It's untidy,
> and it's unfinished. But I thought I'd show you it in an early stage
> before I do any more work on it.

I can't help thinking you're getting too hung up on RS and his
ideas/beliefs.  While he's without doubt a pivotal character the message
is largely irrelevant to your average Fred Bloggs walking in off the
street.

> Do you think it'll work for the library audience?

Sorry to sit here and be all negative (again), but I doubt people are
irritated with their computers because they don't know how it works.
They are irritated because the bloody thing crashes, does weird things,
requires constant updates for AV and anti-spyware software, and they're
frequently forced to pay for new versions of software they already have
just to stay in the game etc!

Clearly a "Microsoft is crap, but you already knew that!  So try Linux
instead." approach is out of the question.  I can't see what you've
written as grabbing peoples attention.

It seems like another age now, but I made a poster for the LUG for what
was billed as a poster competition.  Of which I was the only entrant as
I recall.  It's still available to view at
http://al.sdf-eu.org/tmp/poster.pdf it's poorly finished and has crap
spelling, but it was more the idea I was trying to convey.  I thought
having the name of various bits of software behind the main message
might interest non-users too, particularly if they see something they've
used or heard of, but didn't realise was F/OSS.  Feel free to hurl
abuse/rocks etc! ;)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE