[SLUG] Poster idea, input requested

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 14:21:42 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:00:45PM GMT, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> We're still having trouble identifying our audience aren't we?
>
> Through talking about this with friends I've come around to thinking
> that Linux is a niche o/s - it's for techies/enthusiasts/geeks.
>
> _If_ that's true then I'm not sure how many of that niche frequent the
> library - making it difficult to work out where you pitch is.

Hmm, my view is that we are pitching F/OSS at the people using the
library rather than trying to pick a group who might possibly be
interested.

One of the biggest problems we face and which the library stand should
help to overcome is the idea that Linux is only for the techie/geek
community.  Too many people think that a Linux machine is a black screen
with a white cursor flashing in the top left corner.  In the last month
I've given out several copies of The OpenCD and BeatrIX to try and
counter this and have surprised many.  Not only because of the GUI, but
because the idea of running an entire system in memory is really
surprising to most and that Linux _works_ out of the box is downright
shocking and borders on total disbelief.

> However I'm don't know much about computer use demographics - due to
> family experience I shudder when I find anyone over 40 using a PC
> because it usually means work for me to fix it for them,

Hey!  I'm over 40!  The wax is heating, a bit of moulding and I'll be
ready with the skewers! :)

>                                                            however the
> members of this group has shown me that my family is far from
> representative.

No seriously, I know what you're saying.  My father who was an
electronics officer in the RAF and maintained among other things the
encryption devices (based on the Enigma machines) and other comms
systems.  From my childhood I remember him burning circuit boards with
acid for various electrical projects he played with, but when faced with
a modern computer he really seems to struggle.  I'm convinced it's
not that the technology is too complex, but that he's simply not that
interested.

> Anyway, back on topic - I don't have an answer, John's poster grabbed me
> with its style, and kinda made me want to sit cross-legged and meditate
> about the benefits of free software. Al's appealed to my ego more by
> making me think that I could use something used by "them that know where
> you live" for myself and seemed more 'get stuff now' rather than a moral
> decision.
>
> Both approaches have merits - so which is it for the library audience?

An amalgamation of the two would seem appropriate then.  The moral side
to this is very important to me, that my machine uses no illegal
software is of prime concern, to the point that I'm holding out against
installing MS fonts to get a larger variety of mainstream fonts.
However, this is the land of 'ne'er pay owt fer nowt' or something
similar. ;)  So letting people know they can be using software that
governments, business and the scientific community uses for free is going
to score big.

> I'm ducking out now because I really don't know what I'm talking about,
> nor have I had much to say at all in the months that you guys have been
> sorting all this out.

I think John would agree that all input is valued and it's a shame more
people don't offer their opinions.

Toodle pip,

Al

P.S.  I ought to get on and write up my description, but I've discovered
copies of both 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' and 'Free as in Freedom'
on The OpenCD.  Compelling reading!

--
Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE