[SLUG] Poster3, input requested

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 11:59:03 GMT 2005

Hi

[Please ignore last sent message (today 1145)-files muddled. This what I meant
to send.]

I like Al's idea of a sentence to go with each trifold, but I would avoid
explicit references to commercial software, and just explain that its about
alternatives.   And try for some uniformity of style.  Thus for education I
thought:
Smarter alternatives for learners and for people who teach learners.
For the £100 computer:
A smart alternative to the High Street that does what you need it to.

In the dispute over freedom, I agree with both sides really.  I agree with
John that it is the central issue, and ought to inform everything in the
display.  I also agree with Al in thinking that it's not going to strike a
chord with most of the people who see it.  What might, in my view, is the
unsatisfactory experience many people have had, trying, for example, to
upgrade to XP.  So the slogan could say something like:
"There is an alternative for your computer"
Then "Linux"
Then in smaller type:"You are free.  Choose software that is smarter, more
secure, and doesn't cost the Earth".  Definitely a small Tux and a copyright
notice.

I liked the style of the first poster best, even if I wasn't so keen on the
content.

The display may not make a big impact now, but if it catches the eye, it may
do so if we repeat it in 6 months or a year.  Then plenty of people will
discover, that, if they keep a computer at home for work, and work follows
Microsoft's ideas, there will be a bill of £200 for Office 12, and £100 to
upgrade from Windows 98.  So there will be plenty of discussion then.

Bob