[SLUG] Ease of use

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:01:11 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 09:58:05AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> Another FC4 lunacy, ease of use, efficiency example.
>
> I just downloaded an MP3 file. FC4 chose to play it using Rhythmbox.
>
> Rhythmbox said it hasn't got a plugin for MP3, so it won't play it.
>
> WTF?

OK John, I'm afraid you've fallen foul of proprietary software.  Just
like .doc or .pub files don't expect to get MP3 support automatically!

In the same way that we should support and promote .odt files music
needs to be distributed in an open format like .ogg

> 1) hasn't got a plugin for MP3. Crazy or what?

As stated else-ware I'm not an FC4 user.  Nor do I use Rhythmbox so can't
comment on the way they work, but a quick google gave this which you
might find useful:

http://linuxweblog.com/node/310

> 2) wtf did FC4 direct me to Rhythmbox if it can't play the file I want?

Who knows, but one of my greatest frustrations with the comedy software
from Redmond was/is it's ability to create files that it then couldn't
open!

> 3) there's no clue how to get the plugin.

Perhaps other FC users can describe the help/search techniques they use.

> Words fail me.

Deep breaths dude, or you'll FUBAR you're mojo! ;)

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>