[SLUG] dial-up connections

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 22:47:48 GMT 2005

Martin Webb wrote:

> This is really an e-mail for Bob Garrood (have I spelt that right?)
> At the last meeting, Bob, you mentioned doing large downloads with a
> dial-up connection, and having to do something every two hours.  What
> was that?
> I've got a customer complaining of connection going down after two
> hours, and it's so long since I used a dial-up for anything serious
> that I've forgotten all about them.
> Any advice?
> Martin

Some ISPs cut you off after two hours no matter what you do. If you are
lucky enough to have two phone lines like we used to, you can use two
modems and set up a failover whereby after 1hr 45 minutes the second one
dials and takes over from the first. Waaaayyyyy too complicated though.
I found that dial-up became a whole more joyous thing once I cobbled
together a rubbishy little PIII that I had floating around and made a
caching proxy and DHCP server using FC2 and setting it up with Squid.
Lovely!! I am considering doing it here with this satellite broadband
thing as there is a noticeable lag (1 - 2 seconds) which makes things
like Google Earth jerky.

I possibly have too much time on my hands!!

Rob