[SLUG] multiple booting

naes yllek naesyllek at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 22:08:56 BST 2005

>What do you think my chances of getting Windows XP to
boot with Red
>Hat 7 and the latest from Debian, Fedora, with Agnula
too?

Hi

With a little forward planning it should be feasible
to have a system booting as many distro's as your
harddrive can accomodate.

Last year I had a humble pc (amd k6 450Mhz 80G hd)
booting 8 operating systems (inc win98se) remaining 7
various distro's which was show cased @ hullLug's
first InfoPoint project.

This was a useful exercise as it allowed me to try
each distro's installation method. I did have a few
hiccups when trying this out so I strongly recommend
you do a full backup or ghost image of your existing
setup. Grab a copy of system rescue live cd
www.sysresccd.org

At present my current pc boots into 3 distro's here's
a snippet of my grub.conf

title Fedora Core 3 (2.6.12-1.1372_FC3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3 ro
root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3.img

title Fedora Core  4(2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro
root=/dev/hda5 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

title Mandriva
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-6mdk ro
root=/dev/hda6 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-6mdk.img

I've been asked a number of times by my local lugs
members on the process I used. If I have time I'll
draft a howTo.

Have fun :)

Sean