[SLUG] Next Meeting Weds 9th November

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 18:28:42 BST 2005

> Hi all,
>
> Next meeting is provisionally Weds 9th November... I can't remember
> what
> is happening, but I seem to think something's planned is it not???

I'm doing a talk on Richard Stallman

> As an aside I've been pondering my lack of participation - despite my
> exalted position as webmaster.
>
> I think I'm going to start documenting what goes on at our meetings -
> John's led debates and discussion themes, Martin put on the BBS
> presentation; also we seem to be cranking up our presence at events in
> the town.

Ha! Got you feeling guilty :-)

> To start the ball off John's taken photos of this last meeting and I
> shall start keeping an archive of what we do. This is the first entry
> (yet to become a link on the site).
> http://scarborough.lug.org.uk/archive/2005/10/03_bbs_meeting.shtml

Groovy :-)

> In addition you can expect to see an RSS feed appearing at some point
> with news/meetings for those that prefer that as a method of
> communication.
>
> Now that I'm getting my finger out of my back side it may be a good
> time
> for anyone with general feature requests to stick their hands up as I
> may actually get them implemented in the coming weeks.

I just had a fantasy of a links page in which any of us can maintain
the links. They'd be grouped into categories, and it would replace the
existing page. With a brain like yours that should take about five
minutes, what do you say ? :-)

The other thing is the initial page .. it's kinda confusing to the new
visitor I reckon.

Shouldn't we go (off the top of my head, feel free to amend):

The Scarborough Linux User Group is a group of friendly Linux
enthusiasts who meet monthly in Scarborough, and who solve problems
and help each other out using a mailing list. We have an LPI self
study group, and we have twinned ourselves with Catux, a Linux User
Group near Barcelona.

If you are wondering what Linux is all about, here's* a page for you.
If you want to get in touch, you can join our mailing list, and you
can come along to our meetings. We meet on the first Monday, Tuesday
or Wednesday of each month where the date is wholly divisible by
three, currently upstairs at the Valley Bar, Valley Road, at about
7:30. See our programme here.

Linux is a free computer operating system. We mean free as in freedom,
not as in free beer, although Linux and associated software is usually
free of charge too. There are free software packages for anything you
might want to do with your computer .. if you've not investigated
Linux before, prepare to get excited.

By freedom, we mean software that you can copy, distribute, amend and
use as many times as you want.

(I probably want to add more, but right now, I also want to cook and
eat my tea)

*
New to Linux?

tb written, but basically we need to explain what a distribution is
and what kind of thing you need to think about before taking the
plunge.