[SLUG] Library display, a gathering and a push forward

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 22:51:18 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of
john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sent: 10 October 2005 12:16
To: Scarborough Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Library display, a gathering and a push forward

> Our at-a-glance message:
> ------------------------

> Scarborough Linux User Group - Free/Open Source Software for everyone
>
> Any improvement comments?

I'm wondering whether to drop the 'open source' bit:

Scarborough Linux User Group - Free software for everyone

thoughts?

===================

"Free software" within an Open Source context is an ambiguous term and
one which may initially be a good headline grabber but will foster a
misunderstanding of FOSS for newcomers. If the word "Free" is to be used
then should it not be in its commonly acceptable string "Free/Open
Source Software" therefore the tag line will be either:

Scarborough Linux User Group - Free/Open Source software for everyone

Scarborough Linux User Group - Open Source software for everyone

===================

> Display content:
> ----------------

> The left hand panel will contain pockets with A5 or trifold leaflets
> about various aspects of Linux, for instance, 'choosing a
> distribution', or 'Linux for school and study'. What subjects need to
> be covered here? Let's decide subjects then share out the writing of
> them.

Maybe we should think about applications and about types of users. For
instance, we could have handouts called

"Linux for the small business"
"Linux for music and musicians"
"Linux for video"
"Saving money with Linux"
"Linux at the cutting edge"

what else?

"Linux for games"

Emulators are good, easy and appealing, ZSNES, MAME, GAMEBOY, ATARAI etc

Ian Eade