[SLUG] A miniscule bit of progress with the graphic design spec

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 11:04:10 BST 2005

Hi ppl

I've started work on the graphic design specification for SLUG. I
heard what someone said (Al?) about basing it on the website, and that
seems fair, except that the header of the website, the picture of
Scarborough, reproduced faithfully would have to be done on full
colour and bled off the page. OK, we could do it in mono, but it's not
straightforward to get ordinary desktop printers to print right to the
edges, and it would make anything we had printed (I know, unlikely)
more expensive.

The logo's good though, so I've taken that and turned it into this
<http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/logo.gif>, which seems OK unless
y'all think otherwise.

I'm guessing the specification will require this logo top left. What's
coming is a specification for its size, and a page layout for various
page sizes.

Does anyone know if Linux has the equivalent of MS safe fonts? In
Microsoft there's a set of six fonts which exist by default on every
MS installation. Does Linux have fonts that are always there? Does
anyone know what they are?

Cheers