[SLUG] A miniscule bit of progress with the graphic design spec

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 11:35:56 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:35:21AM BST, John Allsopp wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:02:56AM BST, John Allsopp wrote:
> >> The logo's good though, so I've taken that and turned it into this
> >> <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/slug/logo.gif>, which seems OK unless
> >> y'all think otherwise.
> >
> > Not trying to steal your thunder, but had my first attempt with
> > Inkscape
> > which proved remarkably easy to convert your image to a .svg file.
> > I've
> > put a .png created from that here:
> >
> > http://al.sdf-eu.org/tmp/slug-logo1.png
> >
> > You can have the .svg file if you wish.
>
> That looks distorted, elongated in the vertical plane, to me. Also, on
> the logo I was suggesting I'd added a single line of grey pixels to
> give a retro shadow look, which isn't there in the Inkscape one. Also
> I didn't use black, since the logo on the website is grey, I used, I
> think, 51, 51, 51.
>
> But, Al, I tried to install Inkscape (for about ten minutes) and
> couldn't quite be bothered considering it's probably in this new
> machine I haven't yet installed, so if you can get the distortion
> sorted and provide it as a fairly big png, I can add that shadow back
> in really easily and get the grey sorted.

Fair enough John.  It was only a quick attempt because the image you
posted had really jagged steps on the curves.  I've posted another quick
effort to the same URL, but again it needs more work to straighten out
as I've introduced more steps myself which I'm unhappy with.

I'm trying to get a whole host of things working at the moment, but will
try again soon.

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>